Diversity, equity & Inclusion (DEi) program Manager
Diversity & Inclusion Department
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is a premier law firm with market-leading practices, a global perspective and strong New York roots. Our clients look to us to bring a distinctively high degree of quality, intensity and creativity to resolve legal challenges effectively and cost efficiently. We believe in hiring talented and dedicated individuals as members of our administrative community. We draw on the strength of our culture and structure to deliver the best of our firm to our lawyers and clients through true collaboration. The firm is seeking a full-time Diversity & Inclusion Manager to become an integral part of the global Diversity & Inclusion Team.
The Diversity & Inclusion Manager will work closely with the Director of Global Diversity, Equity & Inclusion to drive a strategy informed by data and insights, while having responsibility for helping to manage and coordinate the Firm’s diversity and inclusion activity, focusing primarily on the lawyer population, across all offices of the Firm.
The Diversity & Inclusion Manager will be integral in forging relationships with attorneys throughout the Firm and will engage regularly with the Firm’s Diversity Committee, members of the Firm’s affinity groups, and other professionals in business operations.
As the Firm continues to commit resources to managing its diversity and inclusion platform, the responsibilities of the Manager may evolve. Subsequently, the Diversity & Inclusion Manager would be expected to effectively leverage and collaborate with the diversity team and others in business functions to support efforts.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage key elements of the Firm’s diversity and inclusion activity and agenda.
- Proactively build relationships with women and diverse lawyers across all of the Firm’s office locations.
- Collaborate closely with the Training, Professional Development and Talent Function, as well as other business operations functions as needed, to coordinate ad-hoc projects that advance the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion mission
- Build the Firm’s internal and external diversity and inclusion brand and work collaboratively with the Marketing Department to create and develop internal and external communications that effectively reinforce Firm’s brand.
- Administer and develop a data management system for the global Diversity & Inclusion team, employing a data driven approach.
- Engage in frequent and regular collaboration with data analyst responsible for Diversity & Inclusion client and third-party surveys and information requests.
- Administer and develop global Diversity & Inclusion efforts. Administer and develop global Diversity & Inclusion efforts for the Firm’s professional staff.
- Administer the Diversity & Inclusion exit interview process.
- Develop processes and jurisprudence for the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion mission.
- Research projects for partner, peer and client related projects.
- Attend and participate in meetings with stakeholders.
- Assist in the implementation of Diversity & Inclusion best practices.
- 5+ years of experience with planning, designing, driving and implementing progressive diversity and inclusion initiatives. Demonstrated knowledge of diversity and inclusion best practices and the use of data management tools to illustrate impact and progress.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and project management skills; experience in defining diversity and inclusion initiatives that have improved business performance, fostered retention and developed the employee population.
- Experience driving and implementing progressive diversity and inclusion initiatives in legal or professional services environment is strongly preferred, ideally with time spent informally counseling, mentoring, and advocating for diverse lawyers.
- Demonstrated ability to persuasively communicate with all levels of an organization. Strong inclusive leadership skills, including being an empathetic listener to concerns raised within communities and working with senior leadership to address those concerns. Demonstrates a high level of confidentiality, diplomacy and discretion due to the highly sensitive nature of much of this work.
- Possesses ability to work harmoniously and productively on a high performing team that prizes collegiality and consensus; effectively engages others to participate in accomplishing goals and creates momentum to foster organizational change.
- Ability to quickly earn the trust and engender the confidence of individuals at all levels of the organization and with key external stakeholders and who can establish relationships and rapport with the corporate staff, attorneys, and with leadership of the Firm.
- Bachelor's degree required; JD preferred.
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected category in accordance with U.S. law.