Communications Intern Project Plan
The Communications Intern will assist with the creation of media materials including press releases and statements, advisories, talking points and op-ed and perform media research. The intern will also help produce our weekly internal newsletter.
This role requires at least 15 hours a week, and is located in our Headquarters.
- Draft and edit press statements, advisories, quotes and op-eds on a variety of topics under supervision.
- Research coverage of breaking news and perform media audits
- Use Muck Rack, media database, to find a connect with new reporters and influencers
Learn how to create and implement strategic media plans
- Learn basics of media relations: pitching reporters, preparing experts for interviews and drafting talking points.
- Assist the communications coordinator in the production of our weekly newsletter on wildlife and conservation news
- Assist the communications team with other duties as assigned
Learning Objective 1: Learn and produce press materials, including statements, quotes, and editorials
Learning Objective 2: Learn and use media tools for media audits and building press lists
Learning Objective 3: Develop understanding of strategic media plans
Learning Objective 4: Gain an understanding of media relations and how to work with reporters and editors
Applicants must be self-starters driven by the opportunity to help transform wildlife conservation using science and technology while learning new skills. Interns should have a passion for wildlife conservation, strong research and analytical skills, a proven ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education: A communications student OR a biology or environmental science student with an interest in wildlife conservation advocacy currently enrolled in school.
Experience: Interest in communications and public affairs
- Strong writing and research skills
-Organization, critical thinking an creativity.
Local transportation costs up to $10 per day will be reimbursed to interns. Students are encouraged to seek funding or academic credit through their schools or other sources.